Royal Commission letters patent
Through the letters patent and terms of reference, the Commission was asked to make recommendations on:
- How to most effectively prevent mental illness and suicide, and support people to recover from mental illness, early in life, early in illness and early in episode, through Victoria’s mental health system, and in close partnership with other services.
- How to deliver the best mental health outcomes and improve access to and the navigation of Victoria’s mental health system for people of all ages.
- How to best support the needs of family members and carers of people living with mental illness.
- How to improve mental health outcomes, taking into account best practice and person-centred treatment and care models, for those in the Victorian community, especially those at greater risk of experiencing poor mental health.
- How to best support those in the Victorian community who are living with both mental illness and problematic alcohol and drug use, including through evidence-based harm minimisation approaches.
- Any other matters necessary to satisfactorily resolve the matters set out above.
You can read the letter patent in full to the right.
In May 2020 amended letters patent were issued, extending the date by which the Commission must deliver its final report from 30 October 2020 to 5 February 2021.